We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What is a Consent Judgment?

Mary McMahon
Updated May 16, 2024
Our promise to you
MyLawQuestions is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At MyLawQuestions, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

A consent judgment is a decision reached by a court upon the agreement of all parties involved in a suit. In civil suits, the parties can work out an agreement and have it finalized with this judgment to end litigation. The court's decision is final and puts the issue to rest, ensuring that it cannot be contested or relitigated in the future.

Consent judgments are binding on the parties involved in the agreement. The nature of the judgment can vary, depending on the type of litigation involved. It may require one party to pay damages to the other, for example, or indicate that a party involved in the suit must stop or start a particular activity. The judgment is enforceable, and if one party fails to abide by the terms, the other party can take legal action to compel that person to comply.

Litigation can be a costly endeavor for all parties involved, so they may attempt to reach a settlement before they go to court. For the judge to issue a consent judgment, all parties must indicate that the agreement has been mutually agreed on and that they find it acceptable. If a party does not agree, the litigation must proceed in court, as entering a judgment against that person's wishes would result in a deprivation of legal rights.

Judges can issue a judgment in the form of a consent decree, a document that spells out the terms of the agreement reached by the parties involved. The only circumstances in which such judgments can be appealed are those in which one side can prove that the agreement was reached fraudulently. If one party was misled into an agreement, it can argue that the litigation should be reopened to give that party a fair chance in court.

The outcome of a consent judgment is a matter of public record because it takes place in a court of law. People who are curious about the outcome of a settlement may look it up to get more information. Sometimes, however, the terms include confidentiality clauses that obscure individuals' identities or the amount of damages. This is done for privacy reasons and by request from the person paying damages so that members of the public are not alerted to the possibility of potential payouts in similar cases.

MyLawQuestions is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Mary McMahon
By Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a MyLawQuestions researcher and writer. Mary has a liberal arts degree from Goddard College and spends her free time reading, cooking, and exploring the great outdoors.

Discussion Comments
By anon348396 — On Sep 16, 2013

A Consent Judgment says that my spouse must keep our family home till 2015. My spouse sold the house and the calculation of support was based on keeping the house till 2015. Can I lower my support based on the sale of the house? How do I do that?

By anon245831 — On Feb 07, 2012

My lawyer wants me to sign a consent judgment against me for money owed. I have paid his firm continuously for three years and this wasn't explained at all by them. Is this legal?

By anon241400 — On Jan 18, 2012

If stated in a judgment and sentence an inmate was given extra time off a sentence and that document years later was changed and the inmate is having to prove the original was altered and is now ending up having time added on to the original sentence, does he legally have to serve more time due to the change of days altered or changed?

By babiesX3 — On Jun 06, 2011

@RequiredFun - In the court I worked at, our judge was very understanding of these types of situations and would generally work with both parties if the worst happened. However, I don't know about other courts in other areas. A plaintiff still has the right to pursue the actions I mentioned previously if a court judgment is breached. However, if there is no job and no real property, they pretty much have to take what they can get and most plaintiffs that I dealt with would accept amended terms in these cases.

By RequiredFun — On Jun 05, 2011

I would like to know what happens if a person makes a consent to judgment and then, due to no fault of their own, are unable to keep their end of the agreement. For example, in the cases of unemployment or disability, will the court work with that person as long as they are trying to pay?

By edsel59 — On Jun 03, 2011

I worked in the Magistrate Court for several years, and I have to agree with the article about a consent judgment being the cheapest and easiest way to resolve a legal dispute. I did want to elaborate, however, on what legal actions can be taken if a party fails to keep their end of the agreement. In these cases, a default on consent judgment is issued so the complaining party can take further action.

This action could be in the form of a garnishment if the defendant is employed or something called a FIFA, if not both. The FIFA is essentially a lien on any real property the defendant has so that they cannot sell their property without first satisfying the court judgment. Garnishments force an employer to withhold a specific dollar amount from every paycheck and submit it to the court for disbursement.

Mary McMahon
Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a...

Learn more
MyLawQuestions, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

MyLawQuestions, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.