We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.

Advertiser Disclosure

Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

How We Make Money

We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently from our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What is a Motion to Reinstate?

Mary McMahon
Updated May 16, 2024
Our promise to you
MyLawQuestions is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At MyLawQuestions, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

A motion to reinstate is a legal filing to request that a matter be reopened. Many courts provide blank paperwork that people can fill out to file this type of motion and such a motion can also be drafted by a lawyer. In addition to reinstatements, there are other measures that people can use to bring a legal matter back into court for further consideration. In all cases, the person filing the motion must be able to show cause or the motion will be denied.

A common reason to file a motion to reinstate is to bring a case back into court after it has been dismissed or dropped if a party feels that he was not given fair warning. A motion to reinstate can also be used to reinitiate a case that both parties agreed to drop and later decide they want to pursue again. In these cases, the legal filing is used to persuade the judge that the case should be returned to court for a hearing.

Reasons presented with a motion to reinstate can vary. Sometimes, they are provided as a matter of procedure and the judge intends to grant the motion anyway, so people can be brief and simple. In other cases, some thought may need to be involved and a lawyer may be recommended to help people develop and articulate compelling reasons to reinstate a case.

It is important to confirm that the legal filing contains all of the information required by the court. Using a form produced by the court can be helpful with this, as it has fields for all the data the court will need. Court clerks, if they are not busy, may look over motions filed with them at the time of a filing if the motions are short to confirm that they are accurate and complete and if they are not, they will be returned for refiling. People should also take note when they file the motion to ensure that the clerk does indeed receive and record the motion so that it will not be lost in the shuffle.

It is also possible to appeal a decision to dismiss a case. If the appeal is granted, the case will be reopened and heard in court. Another option is a motion for reconsideration, asking the judge to rethink a legal decision reached in a case that has concluded. Such motions are used to argue that the judgment should be altered or amended.

MyLawQuestions is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Mary McMahon
By Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a MyLawQuestions researcher and writer. Mary has a liberal arts degree from Goddard College and spends her free time reading, cooking, and exploring the great outdoors.

Discussion Comments

By lovealot — On Jul 17, 2011

@sweetPeas - I agree with you that if a case is dismissed or dropped that there should be a way to bring it back to the courts. And thankfully there is a way, as long as procedures are followed and the judge sees it your way - that you have good reasons for wanting to try again.

And there is yet another way to get a decision changed. When you submit a motion for reconsideration, you are hoping a judge will look again at a decision that was already made. And hopefully the decision will be changed.

This procedure is probably fairly commonly used after divorce decrees are signed. Because of changes in circumstances for a divorced person after divorce, not all bases may have been covered. They feel that they need a second look, and rightly so.

By sweetPeas — On Jul 16, 2011

Our legal system leaves a number of doors open for citizens to get fair treatment under the law. A change in circumstances and more evidence produced, can convince people to want to reinstate a case.

I think the courts give them every opportunity to get the case back in court, as long as they file papers properly and they have good reasons to ask for a motion to reinstate.

It's like a second chance. No one is perfect and if they didn't have their case all together, with good evidence, I think they deserve to try again.

Mary McMahon

Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a...

Learn more
MyLawQuestions, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

MyLawQuestions, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.